Tuesday, November 07, 2006

In the begining

Well it is 11:55pm and this BLOG is set to kick off its life on the 7th of November 2006 at 12:00am, so welcome and I hope you enjoy the site...

As previously stated, this current Blog will have a focus on the design of a Hollow Wooden Surfboard (HWS) or what also could be referred to as a chambered wooden board that at this stage may or may not be built. Throughout the course of this project minor projects such as fins maybe designed and produced for my current board in order to build up the necessary tools and experience that I will undoubtedly require to construct such a board. So with that said and done I thought I would kick off the Blog by uploading one of the many hand drawn sketches that I completed in the preliminary design stages.

At present I have commenced creation of 2D CAD drawings in order to develop a suitable Plain Shape and Rocker profile/template. Before I get into any of that I feel that it would be beneficial to provide some background information into why I have chosen to attempt such a project and some of the many motivations behind deciding on a HWS. Over the coming days I hope to fill in some more detail to bring this Blog up to my current stage of the design process.

Why wood? A number of influences led to the selection of wood as the primary building material include weight (ie. momentum), life, beauty, traditional material, practicality, workability and availability... and I guess the few forum discussions (or rants, depending on your perspective) that I have been involved in with Mr. Roy Stewart (father of 12) where he has continually expresses his love for the wooden Olo as a tool in a continuous (or dare I say monotonous) search for speed. Check out Roy's site: olosurfer.com

Another great board builder who’s work I love is Mr. Tom Wegener. He has a number of interesting articles on his site: http://www.tomwegenersurfboards.com/; he also states that "the wood surfboards ride better than the foam boards and will last many times longer". I hope to build a board that can be used by me, my friends and family for many generations to come, wood just seems natural.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out grainsurf.com/forum . It is a forum for building HWS. We would love to have your input.

3:25 am, April 18, 2007  
Blogger GRUB said...

Have done, looks like a good resource and will be checking back hopefuly have something in the near future to add... thanks for the link.

1:13 pm, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home